In layman's terms, banner advertising is a type of digital advertisement where creative ads are displayed as banners on high-traffic websites. It's a cost-effective way to raise public awareness and build brand recognition among the target audience.
The concept of ad banners came into existence in 1994, when AT&T purchased a little rectangle on HotWired.com, and it got an incredible response from website visitors. That event changed the advertising industry forever, and businesses are still using banners as a powerful tool for brand building.
However, the web has dramatically transformed over the past two decades, and it has also affected user behavior. The only way to sustain the dynamic nature of digital marketing is to adapt to new strategies. Below are some interesting stats to contemplate:
- As per Statista, digital ad spending across the world is estimated to exceed $441 billion in 2022
- Display advertising on desktop browsers will continue to decline, given the exponential rise in smartphone users.
- Personalized and dynamic mobile display ads will be more trending in 2022.
- The market for custom-sized banners is getting bigger, as they receive 50% more views than standard-sized banners.
- Leaderboard ads are the most popular ad size
- According to Statista, one in four digital consumers use adblockers to stay away from irrelevant content. Thus, relatability and engagement will be the key to successful display advertising in 2022.
What are the advantages of banner advertising?
Since the inception of the internet, display advertising has delivered positive results for businesses and brands looking to get exposure. Highlighted below are some key benefits of using online banner ads:
- Visibility: Banners are not only meant to generate sales but also to increase awareness. Even if the web surfer doesn't click on your ad, he will unknowingly progress from a stage of unawareness to an impression about your brand. Repeated visibility may even turn a skimmer into a prospect.
- Versatility. Creativity has no boundaries when it comes to advertising on the internet. Nowadays, banners are not only limited to static images. One can add streaming media, animations, graphics, and slideshows to grab visitors' attention.
- Flexible pricing. While you can easily set up banners with the help of ad networks, the flexible pricing structure makes it an even better option. You can either pay only for the number of visitors who click on your ad, or the cost per thousand impressions (CPM). Advertisers can also bid for prime advertising space on a premium website.
How to use it in crypto marketing?
Crypto marketing is different from traditional marketing because the underlying technology is too complex for beginners to understand. This is where creativity comes into play. Be it a crypto startup or an early-stage business, each of them is trying to solve a problem.
And what better way than display advertising to convey the message?
Below are some tips to make banners ads effective for your crypto campaign:
- Highlight your USP. You have to make the most of the limited space, and the best way to do it is to highlight your unique selling proposition. What pain point are you addressing, and how does it benefit the reader? Be crystal clear with your copy and the action you expect them to take.
- Use a logo. Placing a logo on the banner ad is a must for any crypto project. High visibility, it makes your brand easily recognizable to potential customers. A great logo shows the world what you are!
- Opt for clutter-free images. Don't try to be too abstract with the background image of your banner. It can significantly decrease the viewability of your ads. Keep it clean and relatable. It's even better to use only text with a solid background.
- Call to Action. It doesn't matter what revolutionary crypto product you are building and how attractive your ad banner is. Unless you tell the viewers what action to take, there will be no conversions. Lead them to your landing page or wherever you want them to go. Use clear phrases like "Try now", "Know more", or "Join Us" for higher engagement.
Are there any downsides to banner ads?
Banner ads are highly targetable and easy to create, but they must meet several guidelines and technical requirements for approval. Certain types of content are restricted by advertising policies, but a bit of creativity by copywriters and designers can easily negate it.
Currently, one of the biggest concerns in the advertising space is banner blindness. Internet surfers have become so accustomed to seeing ads that they no longer bat an eye. To counter this, advertisers are moving their attention towards ad banners of non-standard sizes. They are more effective in grabbing the attention of viewers, which ultimately results in better engagement and higher click-through rates. Only a few ad networks like Cointraffic have come up with this innovative concept to incorporate customization with sticky desktop, sticky mobile, and slide desktop banners.
There is no one-size-fits-all concept in display advertising. You may have to take the trial-and-error approach to understand what attracts attention and what gets ignored. Cointraffic is always here to help you advertise with multiple banner formats and native ads available for both desktop and mobile devices.
Sign up today to boost the brand value of your crypto project!